- Look for the best in others. This can certainly be difficult to do, especially when we feel as though other people may have wronged us in some way. Your life will be better off if you let go of past differences and choose to focus on the positive attributes of your fellow teachers and students. As teachers, we have one of the best careers because we get to start over every year. Try to remain positive this year. Always look for, and find, the best in others.
- Dream Big. With the start of a new school year, you can set your sights high! With the new technology and support in our district, doors are now open that have never been opened before. Be courageous and willing to step out of your comfort zone, for the sake of your students and to help you grow as an individual and professional.
- Choose positive influences. Surround yourself with only those people who will root for you and make you a better person and educator.
- Speak with kindness. How true was Cody's statement about words? They can breath life into you or crush you completely. Every day we can impact a child's life in a positive way or a negative way. Even when you are the most frustrated, choose your words carefully. Discipline with love and concern. Demonstrate to your students that you care for them deeply, and that is why you must correct their ways. It is hard not to react in anger when students are being frustratingly noncompliant, but through your words and actions, you can let students know that you care about more than just their compliance-you care about them as individuals.
- Start your own chain reactions. Challenge yourself this year to perform random acts of kindness. Compliment another teacher's teaching style, comment on a student's awesome shirt, bring in a snack to share with the rest of your faculty. Little acts of kindness, while small to you, can turn a person's whole day and attitude around. In Rachel's own words, "People will never know how far a little kindness can go."
To learn more about the Rachel's Challenge project, please visit their official site. The presenter, Cody , can be reached via his email address email@example.com.